2 August 2018
What’s on in August 2018
|1.||WED||* LAMMAS (Quarter day) – celebration of the Grain Harvest
* Athletics: European Championships – Glasgow and Berlin. Inaugural event featuring rowing(2-5), cycling (2-12), gymnastics (2-12), aquatics (3-12), athletics (7-12), golf (7-12) and triathlon (9-11)
* Cricket – England v India, first Test, Edgbaston until 05/08
* 75years ago: WW2- Operation Tidal Wave: Oil refineries at Ploiești, Romania bombed by U.S.AF
* Amber Rudd (Home Secretary) is 55 and Barack Obama is 57 today
|2.||THURS||* Golf : Women’s British Open, Royal Lytham & St Annes – until 05/08
* 75years ago: WW2- 2,897 Romani are gassed when their camp at Auschwitz is liquidated.
* 75years ago: WW2- John F. Kennedy’s PT-109 is rammed in two and sunk off the Solomon Islands.
|3.||FRI||* EDINBURGH FESTIVAL FRINGE -world’s largest arts festival, in 2017 it spanned 25 days and with 3,398 show in 300 venue – until 28/08
* National Eisteddfod of Wales, Cardiff Bay – 6000 Competitors perform to 150,000 visitors for eight days – until 11/08
Jack Straw is 72
|4.||SAT||* Lee Mack (comedian) is 50 today|
|5.||SUN||*100 years ago: WW1 – Czechoslovak People’s Army of Komuch takes Kazan from the Bolsheviks and captures the Imperial Russian gold reserve.
* Marine Le Pen (French politician) is 50 today
|6.||MON||* 75years ago: WW2- U.S. wins the Battle of Vella Gulf off Kolombangara in the Solomons.
* 75years ago: WW2- German troops start pouring in to take over Italy’s defences.
|8.||WED||*100 years ago: WW1 Hundred Days Offensive, last offensive on Western Front – until 11/11/1918
*100 years ago: WW1 Battle of Amiens, first phase of the Hundred Days Offensive. – until 12/08/1918
* Nigel Mansell, (English 1992 F1 world champion) is 65 ,Princess Beatrice is 30 and Roger Federer is 37 today
|9.||THURS||* Cricket – England v India second Test, Lord’s – until 12/08
* Football – Premier League transfer window closes
* Golf – US PGA Championship, Bellerive Country Club, Missouri
* 100 years ago: WW1 Battle of Montdidier – until 12/08/1918
|10.||FRI||* Princess Anne is 68 today|
|11.||SAT||* Football – 2018-2019 Premier League season starts|
|12.||SUN||* ‘The Glorious 12th’ – start of the Grouse shooting season|
|13.||MON||*100 years ago: WW1 Battle of San Matteo – until 03/09/1918|
|15.||WED||* VJ DAY- 72 years ago: Japanese Emperor surrendered thus ending WW2 – the signing of the document of surrender on US Missouri was later on 2nd Sept 1945.
*Football – UEFA Super Cup, Tallinn
* 75years ago: WW2- Land Battle of Vella Lavella island in the Solomons begins.[
* Carol Thatcher and Sir Mark Thatcher are 65 today
|16.||THURS||* A LEVEL & AS LEVEL RESULTS DAY
* 75years ago: WW2- Allied bombers in the Schweinfurt–Regensburg mission suffer heavy losses
* 75years ago: WW2- Operation Crossbow- RAF bombs Peenemünde V-2 rocket facility.
|17.||FRI||* Robert De Niro (actor) is 75 today|
|18.||SAT||* Catholic Feast of Assumption – Virgin Mary’s body & soul goes ascends to heaven.
*Cricket – England v India, third Test, Trent Bridge until 22/08
*Athletics – Birmingham Diamond League
|20.||MON||* 60 years ago: Prague Spring of political liberalization ends -750,000 Warsaw Pact troops and 6,500 tanks with 800 planes invade Czechoslovakia.|
|23.||THURS||* GCSE RESULTS DAY
* Cricket – T20 Blast quarter-finals – until 26/08
* Canoeing – Sprint World Championships, Coimbra, Portugal – until 26/08
|24.||FRI||* Pop music: Reading and Leeds Festivals – until 26/08
* CarFest South(Laverstoke Park Farm Hants: in aid of ‘Children in Need’ (founded by DJ Chris Evans) – until 26/08
|25.||SAT||* Pop music: Notting Hill Carnival, London – until 27/08
* Rugby league – Challenge Cup final, Wembley
* Triathlon – ITU World Series, Montreal – until 26/08
* Cycling – La Vuelta a Espana – until 16/09
* 75years ago: WW2- Operation Polkovodets Rumyantsev liberates Kharkov, Ukraine
The Battle of Kursk was the first successful major Soviet summer offensive of WW2.
|26.||SUN||* Formula 1 – Belgian Grand Prix, Spa-Francorchamps
* Motorcycling – British MotoGP, Silverstone
* 100 years ago: WW1 Fourth Battle of Arras – until 03/09/1918
* 100 years ago: WW1 Battle of Baku, last Turkish offensive of the war. – until 14/09/1918
|27.||MON|| AUGUST BANK HOLIDAY
* Tennis – US Open, New York – until 09/09
* Cricket – Women’s Super League Finals Day, Hove
|30.||THURS||* Football: Women’s World Cup qualifiers – Scotland v Switzerland
* Cricket: England v India, fourth Test, Southampton – until 03/09
* 100 years ago: WW1 Battle of Lioma.
|31.||FRI||* 21 years ago: Princess Diana (1961-1997) & Dodi Fayed killed in car crash.
* 100 years ago: WW1 Battle of Mont Saint-Quentin – until 03/09/1918
* 75years ago: WW2- Northwest African Air Forces bomb Pisa, italy
* Football – Women’s World Cup qualifiers – Wales v England; Republic of Ireland v Northern Ireland
While every care has been taken to ensure the accuracy of information furnished in this website page, shawsheet.com does not accept any responsibility or liability for any damage or loss to any person for the result of any action taken on the basis of this information.