26 October 2017
What’s on in November 2017 …or what you will find in the News?
WED 1st * ALL SAINTS DAY (aka Hallowtide).
* Movember – annual Charity event involving the growing of moustaches during November to raise awareness of men’s health issues e.g. prostate & testicular cancer.
* 100 years ago: WW1- Battle of Tel el Khuweilfe - Egyptian Expeditionary Force (EEF) started the Southern Palestine Offensive, breaking the stalemate with the Turkish Army.
* Sharrron Davies (swimmer and TV presenter) is 55 today.
THURS 2nd * All Souls’ Day – Catholics visit family graves.
* Monetary Policy Committee (MPC) to announce interest rates.
* 100 years ago: WW1- Balfour Declaration: British government supports plans for a Jewish “national home” in Palestine.
* Danny Cipriani (England & Wasps RFU) is 30 today.
FRI 3rd * New Film release: Thor – Ragnarok.
* Roseanne Barr (actress) is 65 & Adam Ant is 63 today.
SAT 4th * Regent Street Motor Show ‘free-to-view’ show of over 300 cars spanning 125 years.
* Slovakia Elections scheduled for eight self-governing regions.
* Rugby Union: Barbarians v New Zealand, Twickenham ko 15:00.
* Rodney Marsh (Australian cricketer) is 65 today.
SUN 5th * GUY FAWKES NIGHT celebration of the foiling of the Gun Powder Plot in 1605 – an attempt to blow up the Houses of Parliament by religiously motivated terrorists.
MON 6th * UN Climate Change Conference. Bonn, Germany – until 17/11.
* Nigel Havers is 68 today.
TUES 7th * House of Commons recess until 13/11.
* 100 years ago: October Revolution begins in Russia -the Bolsheviks seize power.
WED 8th * 30 years ago: Enniskillen bombing: Provisional IRA bomb kills 12 people at a Remembrance Day service.
* 75 years ago: WW2 – Operation Torch, the Allied invasion of Vichy-controlled Morocco and Algeria begins.
French resistance group of 400E fighters neutralise the Vichyist XIXth Army Corps in Algiers.
* Lady Louise Windsor (11th in line to the throne) is 14 today.
THURS 9th * Schickelstag (day of Fate) in Germany when
– Revolutionary Robert Blum was executed in 1848
– Germany became a Republic in 1918
– Hitler’s Beer hall putsch in 1923
– Kristellnact -Jewish property destroyed 1939
– Berlin Wall fell in 1989
* Falkland Islands General Election – scheduled to elect all 8 members of the Legislative Assembly.
* New Film release: ‘Paddington 2’.
* Jonathan King is 73 today.
FRI 10th * 75 years ago: WW2 – Germany invades Vichy France – In violation of a 1940 armistice, in response to Admiral François Darlan signing of an armistice with the Allies in North Africa.
* Tim Rice (lyricist) is 73 today.
SAT 11th * ARMISTICE DAY commemorated every year to mark the armistice signed between the Allies of World War I and Germany at Compiègne, France, for the cessation of hostilities on the Western Front of World War.
* Polish Independence Day there are over 520,000 Poles in the UK.
* Lord Mayor’s Show (Lord Mayor of the City of London as opposed to the elected head of the Greater London Authority, currently Sadiq Khan),
* Rugby Union: Autumn Internationals
– Scotland v Samoa Murrayfield ko 14.30
– England v Argentina Twickenham ko 15.00
– Wales v Australia Millennium Stadium, Cardiff ko 17:15
– Ireland v South Africa Aviva Stadium, Dublin ko17:30
* 25 years ago: Church of England allowed women priests.
* 75 years ago: WW2 – End of the siege of Malta – when relief convoys arrive from Alexandria.
* Calista ‘Ally McBeal’ Flockhart is 53 & Leonardo DiCaprio is 43 today.
SUN 12th * REMEMBRANCE SUNDAY for all soldiers killed in war. A 2 minute silence at 11am is traditionally observed. Since the end of World War Two, there has only been one year, during 1968, that no British serviceman was killed in action.
* Formula 1 – Brazilian Grand Prix, Sao Paulo.
* Tennis – ATP World Tour Finals, London until 19/11.
* 75 years ago: WW2 – Battle of Guadalcanal – USS Juneau is sunk and USS Enterprise planes sink the Japanese battleship Hiei on 13/11/1942.
MON 13th * Somaliland General Elections scheduled to elect the President and House of Representatives.
* 75 years ago: WW2 – British Eighth Army re-captures Tobruk.
TUES 14th * 500 days until ‘Brexit Effective Day’ on 29th March 2019 (The next UK General Election is scheduled for 5th May 2022 under the Fixed-term Parliaments Act 2011).
* Prince Charles is 69, James Young is 68 & Condoleezza Rice is 63.
* 75 years ago: WW2 – USS Washington sinks the Japanese battleship Kirishima.
WED 15th * 10 years ago: Cyclone Sidr – one of the worst natural disasters in Bangladesh resulting in over 5000E deaths.
* Jared O’Mara (Labour MP for Sheffield Hallam) is 36 today.
THURS 16th * Regent Street lights ‘switch-on’.
* Rugby League – Women’s World Cup, Australia – until 02/12.
FRI 17th * ‘BBC Children In Need’ – Annual Telethon, 7:30pm – 2am on BBC1. Since 1980 it has raised over £600 million for disabled children and young people in the UK.
* New Film release: Justice League.
* 100 years ago: WW1- Second Battle of Heligoland Bight, North Sea.
* 100 years ago: WW1 – Battle of Jerusalem. The British enter the city on 11th December.
* Martin Scorsese is 70 today.
SAT 18th * Motorcycle Live 2017, NEC Birmingham. Bikes from over 35 manufacturers – until 26/11
* Rugby Union: Autumn Internationals
– Wales v Georgia – Millennium Stadium, Cardiff ko 14:30
– England v Australia – Twickenham Stadium, London ko15:00
– Scotland v New Zealand – Murrayfield Stadium, Edinburgh ko17:15
– Ireland v Fiji – Aviva Stadium, Dublin ko 17:30
* 50 years ago: British government devalues pound from US equivalent of $2.80 to $2.40.
SUN 19th * Chile General Election scheduled for presidential, parliamentary and regional candidates.
* 75 years ago: WW2 – Operation Uranus, Russian Army attacked the weaker Romanian & Hungarian armies protecting the German 6th Army’s flanks at Stalingrad thus cutting the army off.
* Jodie Foster is 55 today.
MON 20th * 25 years ago: Fire at Windsor Castle causes £50m damage.
* 100 years ago: WW1- First Battle of Cambrai. A British attack with 200 tanks leading a Third Army attack on the Hindenburg Line.
* 100 years ago: WW1 – Battle of Ngomano – Germans invade Portuguese East Africa to gain supplies.
TUES 21st * 140 years ago: Thomas Edison announces his invention of the phonograph sound recorder.
WED 22nd * BUDGET to be announced by Philip Hammond, Chancellor of the Exchequer
* New Film releases: Coco November, Let It Snow & Murder on the Orient Express.
* Boris Becker is 50 today.
THURS 23rd * THANKSGIVING DAY, USA.
* Cricket – Australia v England, first Ashes Test, Brisbane until 27/1.1
FRI 24th * BLACK FRIDAY – to combat internet sales, many shops launch pre-emptive deals well ahead of the big day so keep your eyes peeled for early offers.- it’s always the day after Thanksgiving in the U.S.
* Tennis: Davis Cup final until 26/11.
* Billy Connnolly is 70 today.
SAT 25th * Rugby Union: Autumn Internationals
– Scotland v Australia Murrayfield ko 14:30
– England v Samoa Twickenham ko 15:00
– Wales v New Zealand Millennium Stadium, ko 17:15
* Imran Khan (Pakistani politician and cricketer) is 65 today.
SUN 26th * Formula 1: Abu Dhabi Grand Prix (final race of the season).
* 75 years ago: WW2 – ‘Battle of Brisbane’ – serious brawls between US and Australian soldiers broke out in disputes about rations, girls and race. The news was heavily censored.
* Hillary Benn is 64 today.
MON 27th * Cyber Monday – now an extension to the Black Friday weekend.
* 75 years ago: WW2 – French navy scuttles its ships at Toulon, (Dunkerque & Strasbourg) to keep them from Germans; however the French declined to join the Allied fleets in North African waters.
WED 29th * 50 years ago: British troops withdraw from Aden and South Yemen.
* Alistair Darling is 64 today.
THURS 30th * ST ANDREW’S DAY patron saint of Scotland, fishermen & golfers.
* 75 years ago: WW2 – Battle of Tassafaronga (off Guadalcanal). Japanese navy sink a US cruiser and damage three others.
* Patrick McLoughlin (Chairman of the Conservative Party & Chancellor of the Duchy of Lancaster… and the Tories token miner) is 60 and David Laws is 52 today.
While every care has been taken to ensure the accuracy of information furnished in this website page, shawsheet.com does not accept any responsibility or liability for any damage or loss to any person for the result of any action taken on the basis of this information.
If you enjoyed this article please share it using the buttons above.